Welcome to the Department of Human Genetics! There are several
things you should do to get everything set up.
- See our Departmental Administrator, to complete
all the paperwork. Ask how to get a University of Pittsburgh
- If you do not have a social security card, you must go to the
local social security office in person and apply for a card. When
you apply, you must get a receipt that will serve as your temporary
social security card. Give our Departmental Administrator a copy of the
- International scholars and students must check in with the Office of International
Services, which is located in 708 William Pitt Union.
- Get a University of Pittsburgh ID card.
- See Ryan Evans in G-2 Parran Hall to get Departmental computer
accounts, an account on the HuGen computational cluster, and a University of Pittsburgh e-mail account.
- Once you have an e-mail, please sign up for the Statistical
Genetics Journal Club and Reading Group e-mail list. Please
follow the instructions here.
The schedule for the Statistical
Genetics Journal Club and Reading Group may be found here.
- Please complete the required modules of the Research &
I believe at least these modules are required: Research Integrity, Human Subject Protection A - Biomedical, HIPAA Researchers Privacy Requirements, Responsible Literature Searching.
For the current requirements, please check the 'Training Chart for Research Modules'.
It may be easiest if you take each
quiz at the end of each chapter, instead of the single exam at the end
of each module. Please give Dan Weeks printed copies
of your certificates, as well as e-mail him copies. If you plan to work with animals, you may
also need to do the 'Use of Laboratory Animals in Research and Education' module.
- Please see our Departmenal Administrator about office supplies.
- Please see Eleanor Feingold about furniture needs.
- If you have computer problems, please submit a Help Request at
the Human Genetics Systems
Support Help Desk.
- IMPORTANT: Please be sure to check your
University of Pittsburgh
e-mail account on a regular
- You may wish to attend the Survival Skills &
Ethics Workshops and the Postdoctoral Professionalism Series.
Post-doctoral Fellows in our Training Programs:
- Please feel free to use the supply monies from the Training
Program, after obtaining the approval of Dan Weeks, to buy books,
journals, scientific society memberships, and computers. Please
monitor how much is left on a yearly basis, as these monies can not be
carried forward from year to year, so should be fully spent by around
the end of April each year.
- You should attend the Survival Skills &
Ethics Workshops. The Training Program can reimburse you for
the registration fees if you save receipts.
- You may wish to attend the
Postdoctoral Professionalism Series.
Other useful links:
Journals from the Health Sciences Library System. You can
download full text journal articles from most journals through the
links on this web page.